Otology and Neurotology
Otology and Neurotology provides care related to the ear and surrounding skull, specializing in the diagnosis and medical and surgical treatment of diseases of the ear and related structures.
Otology and Neurotology are subspecialties of Otolaryngology / Head-Neck Surgery, also known as ear-nose-throat or ENT medicine. PacMed Otology and Neurotology provides comprehensive, caring treatment of many conditions.
These providers focus on ear and hearing-related disorders, diagnosis of hard-to-treat or recurrent middle ear and skull base problems, and disorders of the inner ear, which can lead to balance and hearing issues.
Reasons for a referral to an Otologist include:
- Sudden, chronic and progressive hearing loss
- Acute and chronic ear infections, perforations of the eardrum and cholesteatoma
- Dizziness and vertigo
- Meniere’s disease
- Positional vertigo
- Facial nerve paralysis
Otologists and Neurotologists often work closely with allied professionals in Audiology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Vestibular Rehabilitation.
Services provided include:
- Medical assessment for hearing aid clearance
- Middle ear surgery for chronic infections, ear drum perforations, and cholesteatoma
- Stapes surgery for otosclerosis
- Implantable hearing devices
- Medical and surgical treatment of dizziness and Meniere’s disease
- Treatment for superior semicircular canal dehiscence (SSCD)